Thursday, February 18, 2010

Austin - Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood

My morning started out with a bit of a bummer. My car battery was dead! Thankfully my parents graciously got me a AAA membership right before I left. The AAA guy was originally from San Diego and was very friendly. Just remember that if you need your batteries completely replaced the AAA guy is convenient but it will end up costing you a bit more.
Once I was mobile once more I started my journey to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood.
Welcome to the Salt Lick BBQ
There are 2 Salt Lick BBQ locations but people insisted that I should go to the original Driftwood location. If you are in the southern Austin Area the drive should not be too bad. The sign can be easy to miss so keep your eyes open for it. I even had a GPS and I missed it and had to turn around.
The Pit!
Once you come inside the structure you are greeted with a view of the BBQ Pit. It is an awesome sight of meats galore. If you ask nicely they will let you come into the the cooking area to see the pit.
Now for the main show. The BBQ! I got the combo pack. The combo was $9.95 with beef briskets, sausages and pork ribs. The meal also came with beans, potato salad and coleslaw and some bread.
The delicious combo plate!
The Pork Ribs were pretty good. The Ribs had a sweetness even without the sauce. It reminded me a little of Chinese style pork. The Briskets were tasty with just enough fat to add flavor without being too fatty. The sausages were my least favorite of the bunch but still good. All the sides were pretty solid. The BBQ sauce itself was fairly tangy. The waiter saw me abusing the hot sauce and brought me some chipotle bbq sauce. I thought it was a good sauce but I think I prefer the normal sauce just a tad more.
I'm not sure why but I like posting the aftermath photos :o)
As you can see I ate everything up. I was fairly full but I saw the freshly baked pecan pies. As some people might know I'm a sucker for the pecan pies. When I got my pecan pie it was still warm and was topped off with a vanilla ice cream. The pie was very good! The pecans were baked with an almost caramelized cover. I was so stuffed but it was worth it!
I highly recommend Slat Licks BBQ, Driftwood! And if you are particularly hungry they have all you can eat specials for 14.95 on Mon~Friday till 4pm. That's a steal!

2 comments:

  1. byung...you are eating like a king..climbing hard...travelling a lot...whatelse one wants...keep going...we will be in bishop next week wednesday thru friday..take care..Sal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. At HP40 right now and the climbs are definitely one of a kind but I still miss Bishop! Hope you guys have a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete