Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hueco Tanks/El paso - Rest Day

After 2 days of climbing I decided to take a rest day. Most of my rest day was primarily spent updating my blog. It may seem at times like a waste to spend so much time blogging while traveling but I'm starting to realize that it's time well spent. It's a great way to log and organize your adventures. It's especially great for me since my memory is quite mediocre :o).
My rest day blogging was done at Kinley's House on Kerbey Ave and N. Mesa St.
 The short review is that the place is open earlier than lot of other coffee houses and the food is pretty decent. They were a bit skimpy on the tea leaves for the hot tea but the ice tea was plenty strong. They print you out a little sheet that has a unique log in for the internet that is good for 5 hrs. You need to get a new print out after that 5hr session expires. I would not go out of way to go to this coffee shop but if you are in the area it's a pretty nice place to go.

 Cattleman's Steakhouse
The highlight for my rest day was definitely my dinner. I decided to treat myself to something nice and decided to go to the Cattleman's Steakhouse. It is a restaurant that is consistently voted the best steak house in El Paso. My expectations were pretty high but the restaurant met it with no problems.
 
There it is... 
 and it's gone!
I ordered a 10oz Top Sirloin. All steak orders come with various sides. My sides were the spicy ranch beans, pineapple coleslaw and corn on the cob.  I asked for the steak to be cooked medium rare and the steak was cooked perfectly. The steak had just the right amount of salt and pepper to be delicious without any additional sauce or salt. The spicy ranch beans were o.k. but not spicy! The pineapple coleslaw was surprisingly good. The sweetness of the pineapple went very well with the rest of the coleslaw. The corn on the cob was fairly basic but still tasty. This was a fair amount of food and left me pretty full. Even so I could not resist getting some dessert. 
I got the frozen cream with chocolate wafers. It was my first time having frozen cream and I had no idea what to expect. I think the best way to describe is that it's a thicker richer version of ice cream. I think it was a bit too much for me after that big meal. I think I should have gone for the pecan pie.
My entire meal only cost $19.95 for the food, $5ish for the desert. For the quality of food and the portions I got I think it was a very good deal.
Creepy? I think so.
 But that is not all the Cattleman's Steakhouse has to offer! There is a creepy Zoo in the backyard too! Maybe it's only creepy at nights when you are the only one walking around. But apparently during the day it's a nice place for the family and you can even get tours out to various movie sets.
Over all I would highly recommend the Cattleman's Steakhouse to everybody.
Beautiful sunset viewed from the patio.

1 comment: