Monday, February 22, 2010

Dallas! Family and Aquarium!

The drive up to Dallas was pretty interesting. I knew I was going to be driving next to snow covered roads but I wasn't expecting to do so in Texas! Apparently I missed an epic snow storm by few days!
Ummm... Dallas?
I was not planning to do any climbing in Dallas, although there are quite a few gyms in the area, including a converted silo that boast the claim of tallest indoor climbing wall in North America. Instead since I was visiting my cousin in Dallas I decided to treat it as a long rest days. Everybody on my trip has been nice and friendly but there was a comfort that can only come from staying with good friends or family. They fed me well, I rested plenty, watched the Olympics and even got to go to the aquarium!
My cousin and his wife in front of the Dallas Aquarium
The one thing to know about the Dallas Aquarium is, well... It's more of a zoo/aquarium hybrid. There is probably more space dedicated to birds than the fishes.
Is that a monkey in my aquarium?
You first enter into a green house of sorts that is filled with birds and monkeys that are free to roam around. It's pretty cool. You feel like you are in a safari, you are constantly looking around to spot the various birds and monkeys.
My Cousin and Me 
Ducks and Water Falls
 
Funky looking bird you can feed!
 Flamingos
 Bats!
The aquarium portion wasn't the biggest or the most extensive but it was fun an varied. You get to see the sharks, jellyfishes, funky looking seahorses and even a manatee!
 

Shark Tunnel!
Funky Fish with the Glassy Eyes
Sea Turtles, Gigantic Fishes and Manatees!
 
Jellyfish
 
Seahorse!
I think the place could be a tad cheaper but it was a good time for all! If you are looking for something to do in Austin definitely put the aquarium on your list.

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment