Monday, February 22, 2010

Snow's BBQ - Best BBQ in Texas?

I was talking to my friend Chris over the phone when he mentioned that the supposedly best BBQ in Texas was located near Austin. After some research I found out that Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX was selected by the Texas Monthly as the best BBQ in Texas in 2008. There are a lot of good BBQs in Texas so that's a pretty bold claim. I decided to check it out.
Snow's BBQ
My journey to Snow's started in 7am in the morning. Why so early you ask? It's because Snow's BBQ in only open on Sat. from 8am till the meat is gone. The brisket has been known to run out at as soon as 10am! To make sure I get my meat I got an early start. The hour long drive was fairly uneventful besides the thick fog and my GPS freaking out when it thought I was driving on nothing... But I made it!
Mmmm... Meat...
I got there around 8:45AM and there was already a line and after I stood in line the line got even longer! I ordered my meat by pound but you can choose the plates, which comes with sides.
My Meaty Breakfast
I ended up ordering approximately .5lb of brisket, 1 sausage link, 1/4lb of pork ribs, 1/4lb of pork, coleslaw and red beans. The red beans are complimentary and can be picked up from a vat on the side. The first thing I tried was the brisket. My first bite was delicious. Besides the layer of fat on the outside a lot of fat seems to have been melted in to the meat itself. I found the fattier pieces of the brisket better than the leaner ones. The leaner sections seemed a tad dry. I think I prefer the brisket without the BBQ sauce. The sauce is sweet with a slight tanginess. The sausage was pretty tasty but nothing too amazing. The ribs were good but I think I preferred the Salt Lick's ribs. The pork slices also were good but nothing too amazing. The beans were a tad too salty for my taste but was a good break between the fatty meats.
So was it the best BBQ in Texas? Well, yes and no. The briskets were the best I have tasted in recent memory but everything else was good but not the best. Would I recommend you make a pilgrimage just for Snow's BBQ? I would say so only if you are around the 1hr-ish area.

No comments:

Post a Comment