Tuesday, March 2, 2010

First Avenue Rocks - Climbing Gym - Birmingham Alabama

My host Joe wanted to go bouldering so I took him out to the First Avenue Rocks gym for a bouldering session.
The gym is pretty nice! One thing to remember is that this is a bouldering only gym. They have a small roped wall for kids but if you're tall enough to ride a roller coaster you will want to be bouldering in this gym.
They provide free wi-fi and they have a small lounge area with magazines.
They have a pro-shop that sells various climbing shoes and snacks. They even have tons of 5.10 shoes for demo! I got to try the Team 5.10 shoes and I gotta say, I'm a fan! If for some reason I don't love my brand new Dragons I might get myself some Team 5.10.
They also have a full workout area for cross fit training and a studio in the back of the gym for yoga. My host Joe's roommate Mindy even teaches yoga at the gym on Thursday and donates the profits to a non-profit she started! 

There are many things to like about the gym but probably the best thing is that people at the gym were awesome! Joe and Sarah was super friendly and was a blast to talk to. Joe made recommendations on climbs I should try when I get to Horse Pens 40.
The gym isn't the biggest but in the small space they pack a lot in. Joe and I had a great time bouldering. I wouldn't go to the gym if I you can climb outside but it's not a bad option if the weather is bad. If you are camping at Horse Pens 40 and it rains they will even give you a $5 gym deal for the place! Awesome!


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment