Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Little Rock City (a.k.a Stone Fort) - Bouldering!

Warm Up
After HP40 my finger tips were completely raw and the cold weather camping wore me down but after a few days of recovering in Chattanooga I was ready for an awesome day of climbing!
The Crescent V1

Hairy Underclings V2
One climb that I thought was pretty fun was the Hairy Underclings V2. The rock formation is pretty awesome looking. The rocks have wavy bulbous slopers that have flat bottoms. The Key to the climb is to use your thumbs to catch the flat bottom portions to help keep your body close to the rock.
Super Mario V4
One problem that Victor and I really wanted to hop on was Super Mario. According to the guidebook this is one of the most popular climbs at LRC and I can see why. This climb has many fun moves including a knee bar! Definitely hop on this problem if you visit LRC.
Red House V7
If you complete Super Mario you might want to give Red House a go. Red House is a harder variation of Super Mario. The climb starts low on small underclings goes up to some small crimp to the left, a finger lock, to a heel hook. It is a pretty burly climb but it suited my climbing style. I got really close on my first go but had a hard time sending it. It took many tires but I eventually got it! It was a fun climb! I think it is easy for the grade but I'm not complaining though, it was my first V7!
Your Sister Boulder
After Red House both Victor and I was pretty beat. Victor decided to take a break while I decided to get some easier climbs in. We headed to "Your Sister Boulder". There are 4 problems ranging from V0- to V3. I finished the Uncle Punchy V0, Drag Me Down V1 and These Feels Like Your Sister V3. Funny names and pretty fun climbs!
Mystery Groove V4
For our last climb of the day we decided to try out the Mystery Groove. This was an awesomely fun climb! For the start there is a shorter person scrunched up beta which I used and there is a taller person beta that Victor used. If you are feeling too scrunched look for a foot hold further out to the left. This climb was a perfect climb to end the day since it has many fun delicate balancy moves that doesn't need to much energy. I liked the climb so much I did it twice! I highly recommend you give this climb a go! The down climb can be a bit tricky. I found that the easiest down climb route for me was  on the left face of the rock using the horizontal crack. Make sure you scope it out before you head up. What an awesome day of climbing!
A photo showing that LRC is really located in a golf course.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great. I'm not at your skill level but love to climb!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      This blog hasn't been updated in ages but I'm glad people like you can enjoy it.

      Delete