Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Moss Rock Preserve - Crag Beta


Location:
I think people will find this info pretty useful. My first trip out I got a bit lost.
The following map shows where you want to park to access the boulders.

View Larger Map

Do not enter the park next to the plaque, just follow the trail that leads up the hill parallel to the street. With a short walk you'll be in the park and you will see the rocks.

Guide Books:
By the time this is posted the new guide book for HP40, Moss Rock Preserve and Palisades Park should be released from Greener Grass Publishing [link] The book should cost $24.95 and is available online from the publisher and locally from the First Ave Rocks Gym in Birmingham [link] or local Mountain High Outfitters. The book was not available for purchase while I was at Moss Rock but I took a look at the advance copy of the book at the gym and it is definitely worth it if you are planning to visit HP40 too. If you really don't want to spend any money the Dr. Topo guide can be found online with some careful looking although I don't recommend the Dr. Topo guide as it is not very comprehensive.

Where To Stay:
There is no camping at Moss Rock Preserve. I was staying at a friend's place in Birmingham and making the short drive everyday I wanted to climb at Moss Rock.

Food:
I did all my eating in Birmingham. I recommend Dreamland if you are craving some BBQ. Golden Temple if you are craving healthy vegetarian or vegan cuisine. Lucy's Cafe is a good place to hit up for tasty sandwiches.

Wi-Fi:
There are plenty of places to get wi-fi in Birmingham but  my favorite cafe was Lucy's Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment